Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Kale, squash and sweet potato soup

Having stayed out of the kitchen for a while, I was itching to make some special delicious meals. So I went hunting to see what I could find that satisfied my palate and conscience. Among a few things I found was this soup. It looked delicious but my on-going war on carbs meant the potato had to be replaced! Enter sweet potatoes.

Why sweet potatoes, you ask.

Well, not only are they sweet but they also provide an abundant amount of health benefits. Besides being high in fiber (close to 7 gms /serving) they contain a large amount of vitamin B6 which with keeping your blood vessels looking healthy. The high amount of vitamin A means they help fight cancer causing free radicals. And to metabolize your carbs, they contain manganese (those french fries can at last be combated!). Lastly they have vitamins C & E which along with vitamin A become a super beauty food. 

So sweet potatoes is the way to go!

Shopping list:
1 onion
2 carrots
1 celery
1 clove garlic
2 sweet potatoes (I replaced potatoes with this!)
1 squash (the original recipe calls for butternut but I used yellow instead)
1 bunch kale (broccoli rabe might be a good substitute as well)
Pinch of thyme
Salt, pepper, red chili flakes to taste
Some flakes of Parmesan-Reggiano (optional)

To cook:
1. In some olive oil add the garlic, onions, carrots and celery
2. Once they begin to soften, add thyme, sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and chili flakes
3. Bring to a boil and let sweet potatoes soften. 
4. Add squash
5. Once squash is tender, add kale and cook for 5 minutes or until kale begins to slightly wilt. 
6. Add flakes of Parmesan-Reggiano

(I did not take any pictures when I was cooking but I promise to do so going forward).

No comments:

Post a Comment