Thursday, August 23, 2012

Dark Vs. Milk Chocolate

Lately I've been addicted to dark chocolate - the darker the better. The other day I waltzed into Duane Reade and found myself in the chocolate aisle. Normally I go with anything coconut but this time I tried the Godiva 85% cacao bar. After paying for it I realized I was better off walking to the Godiva store a block away from work which would give me a much bigger selection but alas I must now wait until this bar is done. 


The high cacao content was pleasantly surprising. It is strong, of course, and I can eat no more than a block at a time but it almost has a rum-my taste in the end. It leaves this almost dry sort of feeling in your mouth but not the kind you want to quench. 

The nutrition list is not excessively bad either for a chocolate bar. 
Notice the 0% sodium and 14g of carbs per 4 blocks? Sugar is also at a respectable 5g per 4 blocks. The iron content was most astonishing - a solid 40%! On the flip side, this chocolate is extremely high in saturated fat.

Now compare this with the Godiva chocolate pieces nutrition I found on caloriecount.com

220 calories per 3 pieces with sodium, a high carb content and 19g of sugar! To give you an idea - 19g of sugar is equivalent to 5 teaspoons of sugar! 5g on the other hand is a little over one teaspoon. And I can almost guarantee no one eats only 3 pieces at a time. So each additional 3 pieces = 5 additional teaspoons of sugar.

I guess both chocolates have their evils but considering the amount of benefits dark chocolate provides, I shall go with the lesser of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment