Saturday, August 11, 2012

Oatmeal Rice

Dinner plans on Friday fell flat on our faces. About 10 of us gathered to celebrate a dear friend's birthday but about half hour before the scheduled dinner at Chinese Mirch; the restaurant called me to say their server had crashed and they could no longer honor my reservation! Last minute calls to several restaurants ensued and we ultimately ended up at Son Cubano. Thanks to Chinese Mirch, as my other friend put, we were treated to mojitos. And since she and I were on a long alcohol hiatus due to our pregnancies, the mojitos were extra special.

After a long and fun night of food and drinks on my one cheat day of the week, I woke up late on Saturday and headed off to the gym after a quick breakfast of peanut butter sandwich. One thing led to another and before I knew it, it was 5pm and lunch was still elusive. Taking advantage of my old room mate's presence who had dropped by, with her husband to see Sophie, I made some oatmeal rice. It was the first experiment of the day, which I thought, went very well. Val (my old roomie) might beg to disagree, LOL!



2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup oatmeal
Whatever veggies you can find - I used carrots, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, peas (in proportion with the oatmeal)
2 green chillies
Salt to taste
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
Cilantro to garnish (optional)

1. Heat coconut oil on medium heat. Coconut oil will burn quickly so be careful to not overheat.
2. Add oatmeal and let it fry.
3. When oatmeal starts to turn brown, add the veggies one at a time.
4. Add green chillies, salt and chia seeds.
5. Once veggies start to turn soft, add 1 cup water so the oatmeal looks slightly soggy.
6. Mix for a minute or two more and turn off stove.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Shuusssh, it was good! Plus I can't believe you cooked considering you were so hungry and we could have grabbed something quick (but probably bad for you) downstairs ha, ha! That's determination, plus I learned oatmeal could be made with veggies, too.
    Thanks for feeding me as usual, we had so much fun, next time I'll bring an empty stomach :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe you came to see me with a full stomach! You should have known better:-P Yes, next time come with an appetite. I'll stock up on a whack load of wine too hehe!!

      Delete